Philippines Bacolod Mission

2017.08.28 Weeks of Self-Evaluation

Dear Family & Friends,
Wow is this transfer just going so fast! So just for a little update, I have been paired with one of my best-friends on the mission, Sister Aiono. We have been together for two weeks now and it feels like just yesterday we became companions! Well I did transfer outside of Santa Fe, I am now in Bacolod 2nd Ward which is just the next door neighbor of Santa Fe. Haha... So I am still in the same zone. I am even in the same house that I have been living in! So I guess you could say I'm not too far. But I love the people here in Bacolod 2nd ward. They are all so great. They all know me pretty well already because I have been in their stake since I arrived here on my mission. They still call me Sister Taylor Swift. Haha! 

Well, since I have been here, I have already seen some great things happen in the area. Apprently Bacolod 2nd ward hasn't had the greatest success with baptisms this year. Not quite sure why, it's just been known that the previous missionaries just had a difficult time there with baptisms. But since I have been here me and Sister Aiono have seen great success and great potential. And everyone is amazing and so willing to help! 
So let me tell you a little about my past week...

This past monday me and Sister Aiono decided after emailing to go to Gonzaga, My old area to visit Hazel and his family (Hazel, my RC, died suddenly on Aug 13th in the morning around 10AM from heart failure at the age of 33) We went and saw his body and we dropped off some food for his family. We were just really quick because we had somewhere to go at 4. Even though we were fast, Hazel's mother loved that I came to visit her. She says whenever I'm there she feels like Hazel is still there as well. Hazel tried so hard to change his previous lifestyle, everywhere he went  he brought along with him his Book of Mormon. So these past two weeks have been hard, but I can't tell you how much light it has brought into my life and how much of a greater understanding I have for the Plan of Salvation. It really made me think of my life and just put my whole life is perspective. 

Well, after our quick visit there, we headed straight to the church to teach three young men that showed up to church the day before with one of their member friends. They are so respectful and just love to learn! Since this past past week they have come to the church about 4 times already for us to teach them. Even though they are crazy busy with school and work they still found time! Also this week we were also able to meet with the Mendoza family which is the brother of Joseph Mendoza. Joseph is the tricycle driver that I met on my first week here on the mission field. He had gotten baptized a few months before I knew him. But ever since the first day he saw Sister Abad and I in the pouring rain and we had no umbrella and no way to get back home he has since then giving us free rides anywhere we need to go. Something great is that him and his wife will be soon be getting sealed in the temple in the beginning of November! :) Anyways it just so happens that Joseph's brother Weanie lives in my new area! He has yet to be taught by missionaries! So I am hoping that this is the time that he will accept the Gospel. But I've also made some great new friends with Wenies kids who are just the cutest! I am excited for us to get to know them more! 
Well other than that time has been flying so fast in the mission! It feels like just yesterday I had no idea how to speak this language pero teh kabolo na ko! kag daw medyo sagad na ko... haha joke. 

Well also this Saturday my companion and I were invited to a baptism in Magsungay because that was the Gift that one of the boys wanted for his baptismal gift and it was his birthday. So he wanted us to come to his baptism. So we got permission to attend his baptism. Then afterwards we went to the families house to eat some amazing chicken! :) ​

Here it just makes me think I need to literally give my all. Sometimes I find myself being self centered and it makes me feel sick. Sometimes it pops into my head how like one time my Mom bought me an I-pod and a guitar a different year but they weren't the exact one I wanted and I just remember my attitude and oh how much I wish I knew then what I know now. The sacrifice of what my parents or people in general do for me and how I didn't appreciate it as much as I wished. That's the part of me that I've always wanted to change. I want to give my all to the Lord and not let my weaknesses get in the way of doing that. So of course I will pray and ask for forgiveness from God and of course my Mommy and do what I can to do what's right. I know this to be true, that if I do this I will become not only a better person for myself but for my whole family and for my Father in Heaven . I'm tired of life being complicated when its not suppose to be... haha. There is that one saying by President Thomas S Monson... Image result for if you follow the commandments of god life is less complicated
But to be honest the longer I'm here and the more I learn about some peoples lives here and how hard it is... it makes me so grateful for what I have and for my life. Everyday I think about what I can do more for people and how I can stop thinking about myself... my mind always seems to go to the story that I read in Mark 10:17-23
God loves us and he knows us. He knows what what we want and need. So lets just trust Him and He will take control. 

I love you fam... thanks for all of your examples. <3
watch this video... :) 

Sister Garrish


Kids we taught
Me and my companion <3
The Ward missionaries
The Laural boys! : )
After the baptism of Kenji and Marc after lunch


All the Sisters in the Zone after meetings : )
Me and Sister Angelique who got baptized before I got there : )
Angelique's brother Kyle
Sister Aiono and Sister Salvie who wirks with us : )
Ryan and Joeman the amazing YM in the Ward preparing for their missions by working with the Missionaries
​Kenji and Marc after their baptism at Magsungay : )






​Mendoza Family : )